Peru received 19 World Travel Award nominations including best food, best tourist attraction and best urban getaway.
Peru will compete to win the World’s Best Culinary Destination for a fourth consecutive year after winning the title in 2012, 2013 and 2014. Peru won the South American award for the fourth consecutive time two weeks ago.
The Machu Picchu ruins, which receive 2,000 tourists every day, were nominated as one of only six destinations for the World’s Leading Tourist Attraction. It will compete with Cambodia’s Angkor Temples, Ferrari World in the UAE, Ireland’s Guinness Storehouse, the Las Vegas Strip in the United States and Tanzania’s Mount Kilimanjaro.
Lima was nominated with 14 other cities including New York and Paris for the World’s Leading City Break Destination, which is awarded to cities which offer the best cosmopolitan shopping and entertainment. However Lima is unlikely to win at the global level after the regional award was given to Bogota, Colombia.
“One of the nominations we should highlight is, once again, peru.travel was nominated for World’s Leading Tourism Authority Website, and PromPeru could become the World’s Leading Tourist Board,” said culture minister Magali Silva.
PromPeru recently launched the #MasPeruanoQue ad campaign featuring different aspects of Peruvian culture with lettering designed by artist Eliot Tupac. Peru.travel offers comprehensive tourism information for each region in eight different languages.
Peru was also nominated for the World’s Leading Green Destination and Lima’s Jorge Chavez International Airport, the top regional hub for South America, was nominated as the World’s Leading Airport.
Several hotels in Lima and greater Peru were nominated for various awards below.
- JW Marriott Hotel (Lima): World’s Leading Hotel, World’s Leading Business Hotel, World’s Leading Meetings and Conference Hotel
- Costa del Sol Wyndham (Lima): World’s Leading Airport Hotel
- Swissotel (Lima): World’s Leading Business Hotel, World’s Leading Meetings and Conference Hotel
- Delfines Hotel and Casino (Lima): World’s Leading Casino Resort
- Belmond Miraflores Park (Lima): World’s Leading City Hotel and World’s Most Romantic Resort
- Belmond Hotel Monasterio (Cusco): World’s Leading Heritage Hotel
- Hotel Paracas (Paracas): World’s Leading Resort
- Belmond Sanctuary Lodge (Machu Picchu): World’s Leading Wedding Resort
The World Travel Awards have provided awards for achievements in the tourism industry for 22 years and are recognized as the leading authority on the sector.
Perú pugna por nuevos reconocimientos en World Travel Awards (Andina)
Peru: South America’s best culinary destination (Andina)
World Nominees 2015 (World Travel Awards)
Travel Technology Nominees 2015 (World Travel Awards)